Thursday, December 9, 2010

Weather, weather, weather ...

How was I to know that the bad weather was going to hit us so badly when it came to training courses all over the country. When you schedule these courses little do you think that weather such as we've had in the last two weeks could in any way interfere with travelling. Over twenty years training and travelling now and this has to go down as a 'first'.

It's the first time we had to cancel so many classes at our Centre because both trainers and learners were stranded, or just couldn't travel out. With schools closed, others didn't know until the morning whether they had their children at home or not. It was odd being there last week with no one in the Centre except ourselves.

It's the first time I've had to train others over the internet - using skype, email, phone and to some extent, by post. It's been a learning experience to say the least. Mind you, when talking to a Learner using Skype the whole family seems to invariably wander into the room for a chat, and even a neighbour or two ... "who is it?" I hear in the background. "Oh, it's the one from Lir".

In the middle of explaining something, you have Mum coming in with a cup of tea for her son or daughter, the dog jumping up on another Learners lap and licking his face off while we're talking. Several times a stray hand appears at the bottom of the screen with a little voice saying "who's that talking Mammy ... let me see ... let me see, please." Mind you, no one enters my room with a cup of tea or coffee so have to leave and make it myself when I can.

On a personal note, I've had so many grateful comments about the service we provided this time, even though the weather had many of us all tucked up at home. Mind you, it took a few days before 'cabin fever' set in, I think, and then after a few emails, texts and calls I suggested using Skype, email, phone etc., and it has been an absolute roaring success. Well done everyone who chose to carry on their course regardless of the weather! That's more the fighting spirit. I remember Billy Connolly making a comment one time when he was in the County Hall in Mullingar, a good few years ago now, he said "there's no such thing as bad weather ... just people wearing the wrong clothes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment